Buying essential oils does not have to be a difficult task although knowing the places that sell the best essential oils can be a challenge to find.
A few companies such as Young Living and doTERRA offer high quality oils along with a MLM and discount program that can actually save you a lot of money. A MLM or multi-level marketing program gives you the option to join a local group of essential oil users to build a business sharing essential oils with others. This can be very rewarding if you are highly committed and motivated, otherwise, you may lose out. To earn rewards, bonuses and additional discounts, you normally are required to spend a certain amount every month on essential oils.
Facts on Essential Oil
Did you know that essential oils are not regulated by any governing body? Because of this, companies can label their bottles of essential oil as 100% pure and organic therapeutic grade essential oil when in fact both are very deceptive.. let me explain.
If a company fills an essential oil bottle with 5% pure essential oil and the remaining 95% with other types of oils and fillers, they can put a label on their bottle saying it's 100% pure essential oil. What they're really saying is that there's 100% pure essential oil in the bottle and it's recognized by that particular company as being therapeutic grade but what they don't tell you is that it's only 5% and the rest is filler! Therefore, what you thought was a cheap price to pay for a bottle of essential oil was really an overpriced bottle of fillers that has literally no benefits at all other than a nice smell.
Here are some facts to give you more perspective on why some essential oils are so costly:
- It takes nearly 30 lbs of lavender to make a 15ml bottle of oil.
- It takes around 60 lemons to make a 15ml bottle of oil.
- It takes nearly 105 pounds of rose petals to make just one 5mL bottle.
- It takes nearly 63 pounds of melissa to make just one 5mL bottle.
While many may disagree, there is a major difference in the effects of essential oils on the human body based on the quality of an essential oil. There are many factors that play a part in the end result of an oil including:
- The farming land and were pesticides used
- What time of year the plant was harvested
- What time of the day the plant was harvested
- How long the plant remained before being distilled
- How the plant was distilled
- How many times the batch was distilled
- Exposure to heat, light and oxygen
- How the oil is bottled and what it's bottled in
So next time you see a bottle of essential oil that seems too cheap to be true.. just think about what it takes to make that bottle and know it's most likely filled with carrier oils.